Information and Broadcasting Minister Hasan Mahmud on Wednesday warned that stringent measures will be taken against unregistered online news portals soon.
“Online portals are being launched every now and then by anyone and everyone which has become a matter of great headache for all concerned,” he said.
“We have recognised the authentic ones and some have been shut down,” he said adding that registration process is still going on.
“After registering a few more, we will start taking actions against the unregistered ones,” the minister said.
He said that the same procedure will be followed for IPTVs (Internet Protocol Televisions).
He added that no IPTVs around the world are allowed to publish news.
“Even the personnel of registered IPTVs won’t be able to carry press cards like reporters,” he said.
The minister came up with this information while speaking at an event of Crime Reporters Association of Bangladesh in the capital.
A portal of the organisation, crabnewsbd.com was launched at the event.
Earlier on August 2, Hasan said approvals will be given to some IPTVs within a month.
“We did not give any permission to any IPTV yet. We have asked the authorities concerned to apply for registration and some 600 applications have been submitted. We will give approval of some IPTVs within this month after scrutiny,” he said.