Home ›› National

Sinha murder: 4th witness testifies before court

UNB
07 Sep 2021 09:21:05 | Update: 07 Sep 2021 10:46:25
Sinha murder: 4th witness testifies before court
— UNB File Photo

The second day of second phase of testimonial statements in the murder case of Major (retd) Sinha Md Rashed Khan concluded at Cox’s Bazar court Monday with the testimony and statement of the fourth witness. 

The court adjourned around 5:00pm with CNG driver Kamal Hossain’s testimony as an eyewitness and interrogation by defence lawyers.

The statement was recorded before Cox’s Bazar District and Session Court Judge Md Ismail.

Fifteen accused of the murder case were presented to the court under intense security around 10:00am Monday.

Public Prosecutor Faridul Alam said six witnesses of the case were sent a notice on Sunday.

On September 7, the fifth witness of the case will be produced before the court.

Meanwhile, defence lawyer Rana Das Gupta said there is no proof that the fourth witness is a CNG driver and he gave a different statement to the investigating officer earlier.

In the three-day testimonial statements recording August 23 to 25, plaintiff Sharmin Shahriar Ferdous, sister of Sinha, and witness Shahedul Islam Sifat’s testimony were recorded. On Sunday, third witness of the case Mohammad Ali’s statement was recorded at the court.

On July 31 last year, Sinha was shot dead at the Shamlapur police check-post in Baharchhara union of teknaf while returning to Cox's Bazar town after filming for a documentary.

On August 5, Sinha's sister filed a case with Teknaf Senior Judicial Magistrate Court accusing nine members of law enforcement agencies of being involved in the killing, including Pradeep Kumar Das and Baharchhara police outpost inspector Liakat Ali.

On December 13, 2020, Rapid Action Battalion submitted a charge sheet against 15 people, including police source Ayaz and three APBn members, in connection with the case filed over Sinha's murder at a checkpost manned by APBn, where officers of the Teknaf police station intercepted Sinha's car.

All of the 15 accused in the charge sheet are currently in jail. Of them, 12 have given confessional statements before court except for OC Pradeep Kumar Das, constable Sagar Dev and Rubel Sharma.

Other accused of the case are- inspector of Baharchhara police outpost Liakat Ali, sub-inspectors Nandolal Rakkhit and Tutul, assistant sub-inspector Liton Mia; constables Shafanur Karim, Kamal Hossain, Abdullah AL Mamun, Md Rajib and Md Abdullah, ASI of APBN Md Shahjahan and Nurul Amin, Md Nizamuddin and Ayaz Uddin.

×