The Business Post
Monday, August 03, 2020

Home National

TBP Desk
08 Jul 2020 01:02:59

RAB files case against Regent Hospital chairman, 16 others

RAB files case against Regent Hospital chairman, 16 others

RAB has filed a case with Uttara Paschim Thana accusing Regent Hospital authorities of providing fake coronavirus certificate.

The lawsuit was filed accusing 17 people including its chairman Sahed on Tuesday night.

ASP Sujoy Sarker, deputy director of the legal and media wing of RAB confirmed the news to The Business Post.

He said, “A case has been filed against 17 Regent Hospital officials. Nine among them including the chairman have been listed as fugitives in the case statement.”

The Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS) meanwhile has directed the authority of Regent Hospital to close the Uttara and Mirpur branches of its hospital immediately.

Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) earlier in the day sealed the Regent Hospital head office and its Uttara branch in the capital over the allegations of providing fake Covid-19 test reports.

Sarowar Alam, the executive magistrate of RAB who conducted the drive earlier, confirmed the matter to The Business Post Tuesday afternoon.

He said the head office has been sealed as all the alleged misdeeds were planned and executed from there. The Uttara branch of the hospital itself was also being sealed for the same reasons, he added.

The RAB executive magistrate mentioned that the patients undergoing treatment at that particular branch of the Regent Hospital are being transferred elsewhere.

Regent Hospital was one of the few private hospitals permitted to provide Covid-19 treatment since March, under an agreement with the Directorate General of Health Services that treatment would be free, unlike some other private hospitals that were let into the process later.

The chairman of Regent Group is Md. Shahid, also a member of ruling party Awami League’s International Affairs Sub- committee.

Despite the agreement,  the hospital was charging patients as well as submitting vouchers to the government claiming patients were being treated for free. Besides, the hospital’s registration expired in 2014, but was still allowed to treat Covid-19 patients.