Home ›› Power & Energy

SS Power Plant’s 2nd unit starts commercial production

Staff Correspondent
27 Oct 2023 00:33:21 | Update: 27 Oct 2023 00:33:21
SS Power Plant’s 2nd unit starts commercial production
— Courtesy Photo

After successful operation of 1st unit in last September, SS Power Plant started commercial production from its second unit in Chattogram on Sunday.

The 1320MW SS Power Plant built in Banshkhali upazila will run on coal imported from Indonesia. S Alam Group said the two units are now commercially generating electricity to supply it to the national grid as per the demand.

It is known that a technical team from Bangladesh Power Development Board (BPDB) visited the power station area before starting commercial production.

Chief Financial Officer (CFO) of SS Power Plant Ibadat Hossain Bhuiyan said, “With the cooperation of PDB and all concerned, we have been able to start commercial production of the second unit of SS Power Plant. Now both the units of this power plant are able to feed into the national grid as expected.”

Banskhali SS coal-fired power plant was officially connected to the national grid on January 14 this year. The power plant has two units having the capacity of 660 MW each. The first unit started trial generation on May 24 and the second unit went into trial production on June 28.

The power plant is jointly owned by Chattogram-based S Alam Group and Chinese companies Sepco 3 and HTG. The project has been constructed at a cost of $2.6 billion which is more than Tk 28,000 crore. Out of this, S Alam Group holds 70 per cent and the remaining 30 per cent is owned by Chinese partner.